From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of vinton g. cerf
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 1999 9:02 AM
To: Francisco Godinho; Dr. Paulo Sepúlveda; ISTF - Christian de
Larrinaga; WAI Interest Group; istf-participants@lyris.isoc.org
Cc: guia.pasig@bigfoot.com
Subject: Re: Web accessibility milestone in Europe - April 2000 (third
call)

it seems to me that this is precisely the kind of effort that ISTF
should endores. Mike Burkes - perhaps it would be possible for you
to draft a response/endorsement for approval by the steering group
on behalf of the ISTF?

Vint Cerf

At 12:35 AM 10/21/99 +0100, Francisco Godinho wrote:
>Dear friends,
>
>Today I have sent a public email to the Portuguese Minister of Science and
>Technology  requesting the inclusion of accessibility on the Internet for
>people with disabilities in the European Ministerial conference for the
>Information Society. This conference will be held in Lisbon in April of
2000
>during the Portuguese presidency of the European Union.
>
>I'll wait a positive answer until the end of this month. After that, if
>necessary, PASIG will begin an International Online Petition for the
>Accessibility on the Internet in European Union located at
>http://www.acessibilidade.net/europa/
>
>You could understand this position as the preparation of the petition.
Would
>you like to join us in this effort?
>
>Francisco Godinho
>Co-ordinator of the Petition for the Accessibility of the Portuguese
>Internet.
>GUIA/PASIG - Portuguese Accessibility Special Interest Group
>http://www.acessibilidade.net/index_eng.html

European
> >Ministerial
> >conference related with the European Initiative for the Information
>Society.
> >This Conference will be held in Lisbon in April of 2000.
> >
> >Yesterday, during the conference ”Internet for Special Needs” held  in
> >Portugal,
> >I made a public request to the Portuguese Minister of Science and
>Technology
> >to include web accessibility in the conference agenda.
> >
> >This request will be transmitted on the Television but I think that this
is
> >not enough.
> >
> >I am convicted that will be necessary a STRONG INTERNATIONAL LOBBY to
> >achieve this goal.
> >
> >I will have a meeting with the Minister of Science and Technology next
24th
> >of November
> >and I would like to have a credible draft proposal to deliver him in
hand.

> >I NEED YOUR HELP!
> >
> >Regards
> >Francisco Godinho
> >

> >At 11:52 PM 10/8/99 +0100, Francisco Godinho wrote:
> >Web accessibility milestone in Europe ­ April 2000
> >
> >The Portuguese presidency of the European Union ( EU) that will take
place
> >during the first semester of the year 2000, goes to re-launch the
European
> >Initiative for the Information Society, through a ministerial conference
> >that will be held in Lisbon in April of 2000.
> >

> >According to Portuguese Minister of Science and Technology, the
> >re-launching of the European Initiative for the Information Society will
be
> >centered in
> >subjects such as accessibility and regulation of the Internet.
> >
> >As you know, Portugal is the first European country where web
accessibility
> >is mandatory. This legislation was an initiative of the Ministry of
Science
> >and Technology. I think that people from EU countries should join efforts
> >and take this conference as a milestone to promote web accessibility in
> >Europe.
> >
> >Regards
> >Francisco Godinho
> >Co-coordinator of the Petition for the Accessibility of the Portuguese
> >Internet.
> >GUIA/PASIG - Portuguese Accessibility Special Interest Group
> >http://www.acessibilidade.net/index_eng.html
> >Founder for The Human Chain for Timor on the Internet
> >http://www.acessibilidade.net/timor
> >http://www.egroups.com/group/timor-portugal/
> >STOP THE GENOCIDE IN EAST TIMOR

"INTERNET IS FOR EVERYONE!"
Join the Internet Society and help to make it so.
See you at INET2000, Yokohama, Japan July 18-21, 2000
http://www.isoc.org/inet2000