Re: Keyboard navigation in a web page

From: Charles F. Munat <charles@munat.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 22:02:32 -0700
To: "Lakespur Roca" <lake@netscape.com>, "Accesability list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: Lakespur Roca

"What I would like to know from you is are there specific areas where
keyboard navigation through a page can be improved,,,"

Speaking as a designer, what I would like to see is full implementation of
the accesskey attribute BUT with a key combination to turn accesskeys on and
off. For example, if I implement accesskeys on a site, I would like the user
to be able to hit a key (say F12) to toggle the accesskeys. That way they
wouldn't override other keyboard shortcuts.

I would also like some method of indicating what the accesskey is for a
given link (or other element). Perhaps a toggle that added the accesskey
next to each link. For example, if the HOME link had accesskey H, hitting
the toggle key would add [H] next to the link. Or something like that.

Charles F. Munat
Munat, Inc.
Seattle, Washington