Re: How to describe Flowcharts, Schematics, etc

Sounds good, but it would seem more sensible just to use RDF for it. I'll try
to build an example out of the SVG image, but not now.

Charles McCN

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Dave Pawson wrote:

  jonathan wrote:

  > What is the nature of information gained by the eyes when viewing a chart
  > diagram?
  >
  > If you are seeking one simple answer that works for all problems, probably
  > this is a little tenuous to be a thread.

  When I'm reading for vi customers, I've been taught
  to provide an overview of the diagram
  (I use the technique of glancing at it for a very few
  seconds then selecting the items that 'stood out')
  followed by a description which permits a sequential
  description of 'pathways' through the diagram.

  Using this technique on, specifically, flowcharts, with,
  say the following symbols:
  start box
  rectangle
  diamond decision box
  off page connector in / out
  end box
  (enough to start)

  Try:
  <diagram>
  <overview> Brief overview as described above.</overview>
  <page>
  <start-box id="b00" >
    <contents>start
    </contents>
  </start-box>
  <rect id="b01" idref="b02">
    <contents>Process afferent stream</contents>
  </rect>
  <rect id="b02" idref="b03">
    <contents>Process efferent stream</contents>
  </rect>
  <diamond id="b03" idref="b04"  idref="b05"> <!-- Assumes y/n -->
    <contents>contains selected item?</contents>
  </diamond>
  <rect id="b04" idref="b06">
    <contents>output Yes</contents>
  </rect>

  <rect id="b05" idref="b06">
    <contents>output No</contents>
  </rect>

  <end-box id="b06">
    <contents>finish</contents>
  </end-box>

  </page>

  </diagram>

  Does that appear workable
  for some purposes?
  Easy to transform.
  Easy to generate with a syntax directed editor.
  Could even be turned into graphics if needed.
  DaveP