imagemap alt question responses

this is the summary posted by the original questioner of answers
received.  Thanks for helping on this.
I didn't se any of our answers though.

Date:    Sun, 15 Aug 1999 19:13:16 -0500
From:    Sallow <sallow@twcny.rr.com>
Subject: SUMMARY: i-map ALT tag

Thanks to all for the help!  TITLE tag was tried and works well with
NS 4.5
and 4.6.

Dave

Looks like you resolved your own problem by switching to use of image
slices rather than an imagemap.  However, to answer your question, ALT
tags
on particular regions of an imagemap are very browser-dependent.  They
work
fine in MSIE 5, but don't work in (some?) versions of Netscape.

In MSIE 5, an ALT attribute on the IMG tag itself becomes the default
tip
for the map.  An ALT attribute on a particular AREA inside the
corresponding MAP is used as the tip for that area.  Just as one would
expect.

JQ Johnson                      office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator  email: jqj@darkwing.uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon       phone: 1-541-346-1746  -3485 fax
Eugene, OR  97403-1299          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj/

The answer may be tied to which browser you are using.  Without going
back
to confirm this, I recall that ALT tag contents in image maps display
with
Netscape, but NOT with MS Explorer.

However, I discovered that if you add an ADDITIONAL attribute
TITLE="intended ALT text" everywhere you have an ALT tag, you will
display
the text on MSIE as well.

See an example on the large imagemap at www.kinlingrover.com home
page.