Re: Fw: discouraging news from ToolBook and MIT

Hi,

I work for the Academic Computing department at MIT and I want let you
know that MIT is aware of web accessibility issues and is working to
educate the MIT community about them.

Last spring my group embarked on a project to put together some web
documentation to aid instructors in putting their courses on the web.  As
we started pulling this together I realized that MIT had no policy
concerning web pages and accessibility and that there was no local
information available to guide people in how to make their pages
accessible.  (Yes the W3C and WAI are physically at MIT but MIT is a very
large organization and people don't always know what is going on on the
other side of the block..)

So I got together with a group of people from different areas including
the Adaptive Technology Lab, and the Office of Disability Services, and
several other MIT IS teams and came up with a plan of action to develop an
official policy on web accessiblity at MIT, and design outreach efforts
including lunch hour classes to teach web accessibility, articles
published in several MIT newsletters and publications, a presentation to
the unofficial webmasters organization on campus called CWIS-pub, a lunch
hour "Quick Start" class,  a web site with the policy, guidelines and
pointers to WAI and other information, a mention on the MIT home page
spotlight sometime in September, and a postcard mailing with the policy
and site URL, and guidelines.

In other words, we are trying to reach out to the MIT community in every
way possible to inform them about web accessibility.  At this point I
think the biggest problem is the fact that most people just aren't aware
of the issue.

Our goal was to pull all of this together before the Fall semester starts
and we are almost there. The web site should be up by next Wednesday (Aug.
18) at http://web.mit.edu/ada.   Our 1st presentation will be given in two
weeks, the first newsletter article is due out this week in the MIT i/s
newsletter (also online at: http://web.mit.edu/is/isnews/v14/n06/140604.htm
l).

So, we are making a major push to make sure we don't have MIT people
making those types of gaffes again!

Regards,
Jean Foster
Faculty Liaison/MIT Academic Computing