Re: About Priority 1.1

From: Charles F. Munat <charles@munat.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:51:00 -0700
To: "Jason White" <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>, "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
[Regarding using alt="", Jason White wrote:]

"As I recall, this point is clarified in the techniques document, which is
linked to checkpoint 1.1 of the guidelines."

Thanks. I missed the explanation the first time because one must traverse
three links to get to it. I finally found it in the Techniques document
#5.6.1:

If content developers cannot use style sheets and must use invisible or
transparent images (e.g., with IMG) to lay out images on the page, they
should specify alt="" for them.

I understand that this use is deprecated, but considering how many
developers use this technique, it's too bad it's not more clearly noted.

Charles F. Munat