Re: Web Accessibility Education

From: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:18:49 -0400
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Thank you for the reminder about the next upcoming HWG online class on Web
accessibility, but in leaving out the second half of my comment about
training, you imply I stated that WAI has _no_ responsibility to educate
people, where I was in fact countering the implication elsewhere that WAI
somehow had _sole_ responsibility to train people people who us the W3C/WAI

The rest of my comment read:

>While I think
>WAI has some useful support materials available and many more on the way,
>and many people involved in WAI do many presentations and trainings, I hope
>I'm misreading the intent of those earlier comments. WAI can help --
>hopefully greatly -- with creation of re-usable training resources, but
>training activities can and should be shared among many organizations,
>including, in the case of US federal agencies, by (US) FedWeb which has
>already been conducting trainings for federal agencies on this topic for
>the past two years to prepare them for their obligations under US Section
>508. And yes, WAI must be prepared to deal with potential backlash from
>individuals or organizations that react in any of many possible ways to
>these guidelines; however, the responsibility for responding in a
>clarifying and constructive way is also, I hope, something to be shared by
>the many organizations involved in trying to make the Web more accessible
>for people with disabilities.

- Judy

At 06:13 PM 7/20/99 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 05:54 PM 7/20/1999 , Judy Brewer wrote:
>>Regarding responsibility for training, there appears to be an undercurrent
>>in some of the comments earlier on this thread that if W3C publishes a
>>guideline explaining how to make Web sites accessible, as a reference for
>>those who would chose to make them accessible or to be referenced by
>>organizations setting requirements on particular entities to make their
>>sites accessible, then somehow W3C/WAI must assume responsibility to train
>>any entities that have obligations to make accessible sites.
>I for one am glad that the responsibility is not on the W3C/WAI
>to educate people, because that means more potential income for
>those of us who teach this kind of stuff. :)
>BTW, next HWG online class in web accessibility starts August 2
>with info at http://www.hwg.org/services/classes/d201.6.html
>Tell a friend!
>Kynn Bartlett                                    mailto:kynn@hwg.org
>President, HTML Writers Guild                    http://www.hwg.org/