RE: Guidelines vs Standards (was Checkpoint 3.3)

At 01:18 PM 7/20/1999 , Bruce Bailey wrote:
>Despite Kynn's (and others) concern with the vagaries of the WCAG, I am
>working hard for their adoption (as a standard) for Maryland state
>government sites.  I am sure many others on this list are pushing this
>where they can too.

>Sadly, I am not comfortable advocating for anything stricter than Single-A
>compliance at this time.

This is my position too; I think the guidelines are great as guidelines
but the conformance section, and the implication that you should use
ALL "shoulds" (P2) if you use ANY, is the part that is broken.

I am okay with leaving the priorities where they are; I just think
that the compliance section, which I admit I didn't pay attention
to until it was too late, is the real problem here.  It encourages
entirely the wrong approach to the Guidelines and mandates things
that were never meant to be mandated.