Re: Problem of Physical vs. Logical Order [was RE: How can we make Microsoft Publisher Accessible on the Web

Anne,

re

>Can you be more specific on how to
>save the page in HTML to have the text boxes kept as text when the have
>backgrounds or borders?

The only thing I found to work with our newsletter is the brute force
method... to create a new page without the features that you describe that
cause the text to be converted to images.

First, rearrange text and graphics so they don't overlap.  This means that
if you want a picture in the middle of a text block you have to split the
block at that point into two blocks and put the picture between the blocks.

As for borders and backgrounds.  Publisher creates these, at least
sometimes, by making an image consisting of the background and border, on
which the text is overlaid.  You have to delete that image.

You still wind up with a page with <font> tags all over.  The way we create
our newsletter for print, the fonts turn out much too small for people with
low vision... actually too small even for people with normal vision.  So
you have to delete the <font> tags.

Like I said, you dont hit this problem if you change your web publishing
option to

File->web properties->site->HTML 4.0+ browsers

However, then the order of the text blocks gets messed up, as I mentioned.

You can work around this by having all your text as one block, perhaps
continued to an overflow block.  But that doesn't handle all formats, and
doesn't handle legacy material that wasn't designed with that in mind.

This is a LOT of work. I doubt if most people out there would want to go
through the trouble.

And like I say, it's not just a problem with Publisher.

Oh yes, one more remark.  All this applies to Publisher 98.  It didn't
happen with some docs we did with Publisher 97.  However, it would be hard
to go back, since Publisher 98 was part of a whole system upgrade and we
don't want to risk messing with it.  So I can't be sure what the difference
was.  Are you getting these problems with Publisher 97?

Len

-------