Re: What will they think of next! not the BOOK, but the SCROLL !!

This was a great tongue in the cheek posting.

A colleague had the following response:

Thanks, Jacques, for bringing this new technology to our attention.
However, somehow, I don't think BOOK will catch on.
What worries me, are the following aspects.
1.  Has this product been thoroughly researched?
2.  Has anyone considered the divide between those who have and those
who have not.  Will this not just deepen the chasm?
3.  What about accessibility to those who cannot see, or those with
diverse cultural backgrounds?
3.  Do you realise that it might be used as a vehicle for pornography,
hatespeak or other ethically and morally unacceptable uses, and, without

electronic filtering devices, the spread of the evil througout society
would be hard to check.
4.  Have legal issues concerning copyright been sorted out, particularly

in the light of the fact that it would be VERY EASY to photocopy from
paper.

No, Jaques, I'm sorry, but I think the inventors of BOOK should go back
to the drawingboard.
This concept needs much refinement before it can be released onto the
open market.

I have given the proposal a great deal of thought and have come up with,

what I think, would be a better solution.

The SCROLL.

The scroll would eliminate the inherent design flaw in BOOK that pages
come apart, as it will be a continuous roll, much like our current fax
scrolls.
Instead of being done on paper, it would be done on substantially more
rugged material such as papyrus, or parchment.
This will make it harder to photocopy and, since the medium is more
expensive, it will be less open to abuse.
To make this expensive commodity more accessible, it could be loaded
into buses and driven to rural areas where children could be allowed to
work through pre-selected volumes UNDER STRICT SUPERVISION.
In order to compress the data onto scroll, it could be done in a very
small (say 4 point) font, and magnifying glasses could be supplied to
each reader.

I think you will agree that SCROLL will easily outperform BOOK.

Johannes Cronjé

And may I add, SCROLL uses a metaphor we all know -- scrolling through a
screen.

____________________________

Jacques Steyn (PhD)
Associate Professor: Multimedia