NewsWatch: TechWeb article (WAI, jbrewer, Jakob Nielsen)

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:11:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Didn't see a mention of this here yet:

     http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19990525S0007

As usual, I don't agree with Jakob on this issue, mainly because it's
too "easy" of an approach to assert "there is a technological solution
to providing access to disabled users!" and then leave the rest as an
exercise for the user.  Do we really think that web developers and/
or programmers will automatically know how to make pages optimized for
blind (deaf, etc) people using database technology?  These days it's
rare to find proper ALT text, so I can't share Jakob's enthusiasm in
his belief that transformation-based content delivery will prove to
be a great enabling technology for the web.  At least, not without a
huge amount of work still to be done.

--Kynn