Re: Can ADA be counterproductive (was Re: Legal leg to stand on?)

The ADA is perceived as threatening because *we* make it that way, as does
the press and media. To some extent, the Federal Gov't too.

It's very true that it shouldn't be perceived as a threat -- I think we all
would much rather have it viewed as progressive legislation. But the fact
is, the  foundation on which the ADA is built is based on the guarantee of
rights of individuals with disabilties under penalty of litigation and
lawsuits. If a PWD wasn't guaranteed legal recourse, there's a possibility
that the ADA would not come across as negatively. But anytime you institute
a law that includes a penalty for non-compliance, there will be those who
perceive it in a negative light. No other way to look at it.

Our obligation, then,  is to focus on developing positive collaborations
between the disability communities and industry. We always need to promote
the postive, progressive approach. This is the very premise of the WAI --
an international, collaborative initiative between the disabilities
community, industry, government and education. Judy and Daniel, as well as
all the members of the WAI WG's have successfully promoted that attitude
throughout the life course of the WAI.

On a personal level, where technology for people with disabilities is
concerned, I focus on accessibility by challenging developers involved in
advanced and emerging research.

- Mike

At 11:40 AM 3/23/1999 -0500, Mike Burks wrote:
>Well said!
>
>It states the reason for this group in the first place.   To each of you
>with or without a disability I will add "There but for the grace of God go
>I"
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Mike Burks

Mike Paciello                     Email: <paciello@ma.ultranet.com>
WebABLE! Solutions          Tel: (603) 598-9544
131 D.W. Highway #618     Fax: (603) 598-2839
Nashua, NH 03060             WWW: <http://www.webable.com>