RE: Can ADA be counterproductive (was Re: Legal leg to stand on?)

I would like to correct an erroneous assumption in the attached email that
states that the Americans with Disabilities Act does not apply outside the
US.  This is not true.

Under the Employment Title of the ADA, the definition of employee includes
US citizens who work for American companies, their subsidiaries, or firms
controlled by Americans outside the US.  Under the ADA, a US citizen working
for a US company overseas could request that a website include accessible
design as a reasonable accommodation.  However, a company would not have to
comply with the ADA if the action required by the ADA would violate the host
country's laws.

Setting US employment civil rights aside, there are also protections under
the ADA for consumers regardless of their citizenship or status.  All
businesses covered under the ADA are required to provide "effective
communication" in the provision of their programs, goods and services.
American companies, their subsidiaries or firms controlled by Americans
outside the US must comply with the ADA.  This is similar to the case of
American cruise lines operating in international waters.  Cruise patrons,
regardless of citizenship, have the right to nondiscrimination in their
access to the cruise line programs, services and facilities.

In summary, US businesses overseas generally cannot escape the compliance
requirements set forth under the ADA.  Further discussion about the ADA can
be found at "Applying the ADA to the Internet: A Web Accessibility Standard"
at http://www.rit.edu/~easi/law/weblaw1.htm as well as at "Is Your Site
ADA-Compliant? or a Lawsuit-in-Waiting?" at The Internet Lawyer
http://www.internetlawyer.com/ada.htm

The above technical assistance is intended to provide a general
understanding of the current law relating to the Americans with Disabilities
Act.  It is not to be regarded as legal advice.  Companies or individuals
with particular questions should seek advice of counsel.

Cynthia D. Waddell
ADA Coordinator
City of San Jose, CA USA

Cynthia D. Waddell   Cynthia.Waddell@ci.sj.ca.us
ADA Coordinator       City of San Jose, CA

801 North First Street, Room 460
San Jose, California 95110-1704
(408)277-4034
(408)971-0134 TTY