Re: What is Recommended Practice for "Option Lists"?

From: Alan Cantor <acantor@oise.utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 18:14:46 -0500 (EST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Patrick Burke wrote:

After activating the list with either f4 or ALT+DOWNARROW, the plain Up &
Down Arrows move through the list (& typing a letter jumps to the first
alphabetical option).

More on keyboard shortcuts:

Within Windows applications, Alt + down and Alt + up seem to be
equivalent, although I don't think the latter is documented.

Similarly, when the focus is on a combo box, Shift + F4 or Ctrl + F4 are
equivalent to F4. Alt + F4, however, works as one would expect: Exit (or
Close). I was surprised to find that Ctrl + F4 works in this context,
because normally it is reserved for Close the pane or document. Similarly,
Shift + F4, while not reserved for anything that I am aware of, is used by
certain applications. In MS-Word, for example, Shift + F4 is "RepeatFind,"
which finds the string you searched for last without invoking the Find
dialogue box.

Alan