bart web page

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:20:24 -0800
From: BART Webmaster <webmaster@bart.gov>
To: JEANNANDI@aol.com
Cc: Denero@aol.com, Marty <denero_M@vta.org>, Waddell@aol.com,
     Cynthia <cynthia.waddell@ci.sj.ca.us>,
     Barbara Rhodes <brhodes@pacbell.net>, jgammon@uclink4.berkeley.edu,
     kelly@ripco.com, Lainey.Feingold@aol.com, Esq. <Lfeingold@california.net>,
     Randy Tamez <r_tamez@pacbell.net>, ssander@BART.dst.ca.us
Subject: Re: bart web page

Mr. Pierce:

I appreciate your continued input on our current efforts to make the
BART website more accessible. Although there appears to be omissions in
the WAI, we are continuing to implement it's recommendations as
described in previous emails to you, Jean and initially Jim.  I include
our previous correspondence here so that everyone can benefit from the
background if they don't already have it:

> Subject:	Re: BART website feedback
> Date:		Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:08:10 -0800
> From: 	BART Webmaster <webmaster@bart.gov>
> To: 		kelly@ripco.com

> Thank you for taking the time to comment on the BART website.  As you've
> discovered, some pages of the website are more accessible than others
> right now.  We are currently updating the entire site to meet new
> accessibility standards, and our work is not yet complete. We are
> literally working from page to page, section to section.  We are also
> making sure that any new pages we add meet the new standards as well.
>
> We are using guidelines established by the World Wide Web Consortium's
> (W3C) Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI). The W3C is the international
> industry and academic group that sets Internet standards.  The WAI is
> the authoritative reference for website accessibility. Their work is
> further described at http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH/.  I expect
> the entire BART website to conform to current WAI standards by mid
> March.
>
> Regarding the secure site for ticket sales, some browsers (especially
> older ones) cannot access HTTPS.  Because of the potential for fraud and
> other crime, electronic transactions must be conducted on a secure
> server. For browsers that do not have this capability, we offer tickets
> mail at http://www.bart.gov/riding/tickets/mail.htm .
>
> Incidentally, your Lynx browser can be upgraded: Although it is not
> distributed with built-in encryption, you can add on software that
> allows it to interact with with SSL and HTTPS. Please see
> http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/%7Ejeffwong/lynxstuff/SSL/index.html for
> more information.
>
> Thanks again for contacting us.
>

> > ********************
> > The following Feedback about the website was submitted.
> > ********************
> >
> > First Name : kelly pierce
> > E Mail : kelly@ripco.com
> > Subject : your home page
> > the Lynx on your page do not have alt tags, or text describing what they
> > are.  Additionally, there is no way to order fare cards over the internet
> > for browsers that do not support https url's.  Lynx does not support https
> > urls.  I believe that the lack of usability is a denial of access to your
> > program because of my disability.  I encourage BART to correct this
> > situation.

Kelly, I hope other websites that don't currently follow WAI
recommendations take the same initiative BART has. We also need your
feedback in order for this to work. But please note: We're still
implementing the recommendations, including those that address
proprietary formats (like PDF and ShockWave). We will be offering
alternatives to such formats and avoid other non-standard features
(including elements, attributes, properties, etc. only supported by a
specific browser type) on the timetable I previously mentioned.

Regarding secure servers: Sorry for suggesting the SSL fix -- I didn't
have the shell access detail. I've been reviewing conversations at the
w3c-wai-ig@w3.org Mail Archives looking for more information and all
alternatives such as unsecured connections, open email, email with PGP
public key encryption, phone, dedicated voice mail boxes and fax. You
raise an important issue and I need more information to formulate an
appropriate response. We will get back to you next week with the when
and how.  I wanted to get back to you today, however, to let you know
what we're doing in the meantime.

Back to the WAI work: I initially believed it would be complete in
mid-March. Now it appears we'll be done before then.  This will resolve
many accessibility issues at the BART website, but Jean is right: We
can't operate in a vacuum. You're welcome to troubleshoot the site now.
However, I hope you and others will take the time to visit after WAI
work is complete. This way you can help identify any issues that might
remain.

Jean, as I said a few days ago, I'll let you know when the WAI work is
done and I hope you'll pass word to the ABC. In the meantime, if anyone
has questions, please feel free to call me at the number below or email
me directly.

Thanks again.

--
Timothy J. Moore