Your opinion please: comma separated table values

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:36:24 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, piat@egroups.com
I'm trying out a way to make tables more accessible.  The first test case
is for a web site for recycling assistive technology.  It has tables
listing assistive technology to be recycled.

The url is http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/reep/

The pages, which are mostly HTML tables, also have links to text versions
of the tables.  In the text version, each row consists of comma separated
values.  I was trying to serve two purposes.  One was to make it sound good
on screen readers.  The other was to allow people to import the table into
a spreadsheet (comma separated values is the standard spreadsheet csv
format).  I was thinking that would be convenient for people with
spreadsheets that work well with their screenreaders.

I didn't intend the comma separated tables to look good visually, and I
know I was successful there <grin>.  But sighted folks have the HTML.

Would you tell me what you think of this?  Especially people with
spreadsheets and screenreaders.

Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)