Re: establishing a membership only site that is fully assessible

From: Claude Sweet <sweetent@home.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 08:18:41 -0800
To: wai <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I am a member of several organizations that are confronted with
increasing publication and mailing expenses. To reduce expenses they
have asked me to investigate the possibility of establishing web sites
that require paid membership privileges to access the information.

As a relative beginner in the concept in accessibility design, I have
been looking for a way to combine the need to protect the pages from
unauthorized access and combine accessibility as suggested under the
Bobby guidelines.

One possibly way to accomplish this is by using a master frame set that
links all of the membership protected pages. However, this seems to be
an unacceptable approach under the accessibility guidelines.

Has anyone encountered this design problem before? How did you solve the
problem?  Can you recommend any sites that utilize this concept that are
accessible under the guidelines?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Claude Sweet
Sweet Enterprises
Sweetent@home.com