Re: h1, h2, etc. (+ pwWebspeak)

From: Chris Maden <crism@oreilly.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:38:28 -0500 (EST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
[Charles F. Munat]
> You can also use CSS to achieve the indent. I'm not that worried
> about backwards compatibility because I can adjust the pages
> dynamically based on the browser. It's the blank lines that bother
> me. I can't seem to override them.

The theoretical way to control this in CSS is with the margin

h3,  { margin-bottom: 0pt }

h3+p { margin-top:    0pt;
       text-indent:   1em }

As to what actually *works*, see <URL:http://style.webreview.com/>.
According to their compatibility chart, text-indent works with NS 4,
IE 3, and IE 4, while margin-* works in NS 4, and as a length (not a
percentage) in IE 4.  In IE 3, margin-top works as a percentage on
Windows but not Macintosh, but margin-bottom doesn't work at all.

The best place for questions like this is