Re: When is a web site accessible?

From: <Lovey@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:58:36 EST
To: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I just left a commercial website with the following statement on the bottom of
the home page:
"This site has passed the Bobby test and is ADA compliant"
The site relies heavily on tables, Java Scripts, graphical links (without
alternative text links), etc.
Perhaps this author feels they have met ADA requirements by testing with Bobby
yet does not know (or feel the need) to make her site accessible to the people
the ADA protects.
Not to critisize Bobby - but perhaps some HTML authors are under the
misconception Bobby is THE test for ADA compliance.
IMO this forum NOT to define what or when a website is accessible but *how* to
make a website accessible. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Perhaps the law itself is our shortcoming.
Kindest regards,
L.Kelly