Re: The first thing that I don't like about the WAI-IG list

At 06:31 p.m. 01/02/99 -0600, Charles F. Munat wrote:
>I would like us to discuss what is true and real based on
>empirical evidence rather than making statements without
>support, especially when those statements contradict
>personal experience.

What sort of empirical evidence are you looking for?  I spend
a good deal of my time dealing with educating web designers on
accessibility issues -- for example, the HTML Writers Guild's
first project in it http://www.hwg.org/opcenter/projects/agi/
to an online class in HTML http://www.hwg.org/opcenter/classes/h151.2.html
which is currently in its second outing.

In my experience, this ISN'T hard to teach.  Start with ALT text
for all images, and you've already eliminated half the accessibility
problems on the net.  Go on from there, and I can teach the rest in a
day (face to face) or a six week course (at a leisurely pace), and
all you'll need after that is the URL of the WAI guidelines and the
quick reference card.

The only real hurdles are (a) getting people to realize there's
something to learn, (b) opening their eyes to the effects, and then
(c) just slogging through the guidelines.  The first is a matter
of marketing, the second of personalization, and the third is just
transmittal of information.

Design an accessible web site:                http://www.kynn.com/+fedweb
Tell your friend a celebrity wrote to you:      http://www.kynn.com/+imdb
Enroll now for my online CSS course!             http://www.kynn.com/+css