Examples of Meaningful Graphics

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:15:48 -0700
To: Anne Pemberton <apembert@crosslink.net>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 12:49 PM 6/18/1999 , Anne Pemberton wrote:
>For Ann Navarro and others who have been asking for examples, I think this
>site is a good "first" example of how "meaningful graphics" can make the
>information on a web site accessible to those who depend on graphics for
>comprehension. It is a good example of what I mean by the term "meaningful
>graphics".

I think that you can find plenty of examples of sites that use
graphics effectively; that's never been in question.  The
problems arise in defining what exactly are "meaningful
graphics" and how that applies to ALL pages.  Pointing at a site
that manages to use graphics well just tells you that some sites
can use graphics well; perhaps it's due to the nature of this
site (a very tiny catalog of services available from one
company) but it may not be generally applicable to all sites.

A better example would be to take a site that most of us would
agree is very "textual" -- such as the W3C site or Jakob Nielsen's
useit.com -- and explain what graphics are necessary there to
increase understanding for limited textual comprehension users.