RE: Avoiding Cultural Influences

From: Anne Pemberton <apembert@crosslink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:38:10 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 01:37 PM 6/14/1999 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>I don't want to sound like I'm paranoid and ranting here, I'm
>just trying to figure out where we should draw the line between
>"increasing understanding" and "promoting homogeneity"?

cultural neutrality doesn't always work to "increase understanding", so you
may want to separate the two issues, Kynn. All people are part of their
culture, and folks with cognitive, sensory, or physical disabilities are no
different. (I'm a "damned Yankee living in rural southside Virginia, who
will sometimes try to tell the locals the truth about one of their sacred
beliefs....and even my husband gets mad at me!)

Cultural collisions keep life interesting, but they doesn't keep the peace.

				Anne

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/apembert