Two Web Accessibility Camps

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:55:36 -0700
To: Brian Kelly <b.kelly@ukoln.ac.uk>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 06:04 AM 6/14/1999 , Brian Kelly wrote:
>     I've become aware since attending the first day of the WAI meeting in
>Toronto of two web accessibility communities.  One focuses on the needs to
>make HTML accessible, the other is looking at developing a richer web in the
>future.  The former group gives priority to education, importance of ALT
>tags, etc.  The latter regards HTML as on its way out, and priority should
>be given to the new stuff (XML, XLink, RDF, etc.)

I don't see these as beign two _communities_ as much as two
different approaches for different times and different
situations -- they are not mutually exclusive.  It's possible
to be a member of both camps, by planning for the future but
realizing that we have to live in the present until the
future gets here.