Re: AlertBox: The death of single-design pages?

Marti wrote:
> In an IDEAL world everything would be accessible to everyone all the time.
> But we don't live in that world. Whether it is the web or any other media
> there will be some practical considerations in the development of material.
> I am sure a case can be made for extremes but is there really any serious
> need to produce a drivers handbook in Braille?
I see your point but unfortunately in this case the answer is yes.
since you asked yes or no, I am tempted to stop here, but I'll expand
and then perhaps provide an example that will serve.  Providing an
handbook of any kind in braille assists the blind in both knowing the
content and aiding the sighted who must need assistance from us
judging by some of the posts I've seen here.  The best example is
should a chile be able to make an atom bomb?

> Has anyone considered the needs of a cognitively disabled person who is also
> blind?
yes, we are all cognatively disabled if you want to use that fraze in
some way and to some degree or other.  Blindness in and of its self
implies some impairment of cognition although it is hotly denied by
many blind people and when a blind person such as myself stands up and
says it we are told we are feeling sorry for our selves or attempting
to gain the sympathy of those who do not know better.  I won't
elaborate the case here but to say that if I suddenly became sighted,
there's a lot of stuff I'd have to learn.
> If the ideal of Universal Design escapes us we should, I think, adapt in the
> best way possible with the target audience in mind. Thus, that fancy
> high-end system at the office shouldn't be spending a lot of time in a games
> area and I would rather not think about somebody using a phone-link to
> review a scientific paper while driving to work.
I've found that the high end systems can do just fine with the
constructs targetted at the widest audience but that the converse is
untrue.

--
Hands-On Technolog(eye)s
Touching The Internet: