Re: Define Accessibility!

At 01:14 PM 6/11/1999 -0400, Bruce Bailey wrote:
>We have really been debating about the definition of accessibility here.
>Some are equating "accessible" with "understandable" and others with
>"available".

When looking for a definition, a good starting place is a dictionary. My
handy Random House Webster's gives the definition of "accessible" as:

"1. Easy to approach, reach, enter, speak with, or use. 2. able to be used,
entered, or reached. 3. obtainable, attainable (accessible evidence). 4.
Readily understandable. 5. open to the influence of (accessible to bribary)."

Definition #4 is relevent to this discussion, and, at least in this
dictionary, the meaning of accessibility clearly includes understanding. In
my mind at least, there has never been a question that understanding is a
part of accessibility, and I have been quite surprised that understanding
is considered something other than a part of accessibility.

				Anne

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/apembert