Re: QED & Marshall McLuhan

At 04:59 PM 6/10/1999 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>Maybe we're speaking a different language here -- do _you_ create
>web sites and do _you_ understand what specific technical factors I
>speak of when I say that web authors should create "accessible"
>web sites?

Kynn,

	Check out the links from my signature file and decide for yourself if I
"Create" web sites or not. Most of my sites are upgraded from time to time,
and I incorporate whatever new I've learned in the upgrades, so there are
no longer any examples of pages I created in pure HTML. The last site
listed, for the Enabling Support Foundation, is the only one for which I
attempted to attain "accessibility" for the blind, because the membership
of the foundation is heavy with those with visual impairments. We say our
services are for ALL persons with disabilities, and I looked to the
guidelines for help in making those pages accessible to people who need
graphics, and found the guidelines totally silent on the issue and of no
use to my problem. Hence my presence here.

	One of the sites listed is for the Academy One project that was once a big
educational enterprise on the Internet that fell due to lack of funding.
Academy One contains links to the "Whatever" page, created by and for LD
kids by a class in Northern VA. It also contains a link to the "Battle of
Five Forks", a large site devoted to telling the story of a single but
pivotal battle at the end of the Civil War. Both the original Academy One
site, and the earliest versions of Five Forks were created in HTML. They
were updated in Front Page. On my personal site, there are pages created in
Front Page and some made in Publisher. The most recent addition "Easter at
Bavon" is probably the only one that is "accessible" to the blind, tho it
may not be that interesting since it's mostly a display of lots of photos.
You can look at my work and decide for yourself if I am sufficiently
knowledgeable of the work of a "web author".

				Anne

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/apembert