Re: 404 error messages

At 11:31 AM 6/1/1999 , Brian Kelly wrote:
>I intend to write an article giving advice on good design of 404 error
>messages.  Are there any particular needs which the WAI community feel
>should be covered (I'm assuming that 404 messages will conform to the Web
>Content guidelines)?  Can anyone provide good examples of 404 error
>messages?

Jakob Nielsen has an article on this (which is why I went to
his site today -- see the other note on this list!), at:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/404_improvement.html

The HTML Writers Guild's 404 page includes the following:

     Document Not Found

     Sorry, the document you requested was not found on the
     HTML Writers Guild website.

     Any of the following options may be useful to you:

     * Return to the Guild homepage
     * Consult our sitemap
     * Search the Website:
       [               ] [Search]
     * More Searches...

...plus the standard HWG site navigation buttons.

http://www.hwg.org/foo.html

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
President, Governing Board Member