Re: Access Keys for Accessibility

From: Nir Dagan <nir@nirdagan.com>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 11:52:45 GMT
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
1. access keys are not necessary for accessibility. So generally there
is no reason to use them.

> or even higher?  I'm not sure this would work???

No you can't. The value of accesskey must be a single character from Unicode. 99 is not a single character, it is two characters.

Legal example:

3. In order to use accesskey you have to detect the user's
keyboard (if any).
I can read with my MSIE5.0 Spanish letters like n-tilde, and even Arabic
and Greek, but I can input only characters available on my rather limited bi-lingual US-English plus Hebrew keyboard.

The fact that someone can read your page does not imply that he/she can
input characters of the same script. This applies also to all US-ASCII characters. HTML does not require keyboard support even for those.

To make a long story short, accesskey is implementation dependent, and HTML specifications do not require that browsers will support it
(namely support for keyboard input of all Unicode...).

Nir Dagan

"There is nothing quite so practical as a good theory."
-- A. Einstein