From: MMuehe@CI.Cambridge.MA.US [mailto:MMuehe@CI.Cambridge.MA.US]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 1999 3:15 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Wired story about 508 Compliance

From the Wired story, this gem of patronization and twisted
language:

"Of course, I believe that handicapped people should
have full access to the Web," said Oz Lubling, a technologist at
Web design and consulting firm Razorfish. "But technology and
new computer languages, like XML, are emerging so quickly now
that a more useful approach would be to work with and adapt the
new technology to enable the users, rather than restrict the old
technology, which seems disabling," he said.

Check out Oz's cutting-edge web site (I guess alt tags just
aren't cutting edge enough).

http://www.Razorfish.com/

> >http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/19556.html
>
> Another example of sloppy reporting on this issue, especially
> when they quote ignorant web developers -- who obviously haven't
> been to http://aware.hwg.org/ -- who say that making a site
> accessible will "double" the time necessary to make a web
> site.

==========================
Michael Muehe
Executive Director / ADA Coordinator
Cambridge Commission for Persons with Disabilities
51 Inman Street, second floor
Cambridge, MA 02139  USA
617-349-6297 voice
617-492-0235 TTY
617-349-4766 fax
www.ci.cambridge.ma.us/~CCPD

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." -- Helen Keller