accessibility for non readers

From: jonathan chetwynd <jonathan@signbrowser.free-online.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 17:05:12 +0100
To: <love26@gorge.net>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I have to agree, with the comment "the guidelines seem oriented towards
read-only pages, and say little about interaction, even about design of
forms (except to provide an email address for direct correspondence)."

I believe that this is historical and a response to the large and powerful
'poor vision' lobby.

Al Gilman asked me to describe the needs of people with Special Educational
Needs accessing the www.

It is a very large problem. and whether you have a detailed list or just a
few ideas please mail them.

My concerns include:

Non readers have problems accessing the www.
    Difficulty browsing for any amount of time/depth.

Fostering of Community.

Authoring of sites.
    Providing a means of authoring.

Copyright: graphics are protected, letters,words and sentences less so.

Preferred method of learning:
    Confusion created by text labels/alt tags popping up. essential for
blind, but why are they seen?
    Clarity of content.
    The large number of sites with huge amounts of text, I suggest a max of
30 words as a guide.

Unfortunately I shall not be able to devote much time on this until mid
June.