Re: Builder.Com article on HWG AWARE site

At 11:28 a.m. 04/30/99 -0400, Bruce Bailey wrote:
>There has been plenty of discussion among us, the choir if you will,
>preaching that universal design means that not only will pages be
>accessible to screen readers, but that sites will be better utilized by
>search engines, web crawlers, PIMs, PDAs, cell phones, AIs, space aliens,
>etc., etc.

>What are the URLs for some simple/clear/short documents that make the
>argument for the strong, selfish, capitalistic advantages of universal
>design of HTML?

(a) Avoid lawsuits :)

(b) People with PDAs and other "newtech" have $$, which could be
    important to commercial sites trying to sell things

(c) Along that same vein:

"Consumers with disabilities control more than $175 billion in
discretionary income. They, like all consumers, are more likely to
patronize businesses where they feel welcome. Accessible stores,
products and services, along with employees with disabilities, will
help customers with disabilities feel that their business is
appreciated."

That's a quote from http://www50.pcepd.gov/pcepd/pubs/ek98/affirmat.htm

(d) Learning accessible web authoring practices makes you a better
    web designer overall.  (I've heard this comment MANY times from
    students at the end of my online course.)  Better web designer
    equals more $$ and higher paying jobs because you know your stuff.

(e) Inaccessible design can mean "no government contracts" in the US.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
President, Governing Board Member