Re: Getting chatty

From: Lynn Alford <Lynn.Alford@jcu.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 15:50:15 +1000
To: love26@gorge.net, "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 7:04 AM -0700 25/4/99, William Loughborough wrote:
>I wonder if by the time we figure this out and do something about it
>that "chatting" will be a regular function like using the internet to
>make phone calls, only a bit more elaborate?  I have never been able to
>"chat" for more than about thirty seconds and find it hard to believe
>that so many people out there do it or that anyone would want to.

Chat has been a function of online communications for a long time.  Whether
you find chats useful or enjoyable depends a lot on the participants. On
average, crowded rooms get annoying, but I've had a couple of good chats in
rooms with 2 to 6 people in them.

Chatting online can be a good communication tool, and I think everyone
should have the option of using one.  Finding a good place to chat is a
different and difficult problem.

Lynn

Teaching & Staff Development Program    Tel 	(07) 47 81 5525
ACADEMIC SUPPORT DIVISION               Fax:  	(07) 47 81 4018
James Cook University                   Email:  imla@jcu.edu.au
QLD 4811  AUSTRALIA