Re: Are we there yet on 10.3 word wrapped columns of text?

From: <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:33:05 -0500
To: webwatch@telelists.com, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Steve wrote:
>The existence of such newer technologies is not the only issue.  The other
equally important >question is how many people actually own/use the newer
technologies.  I would hope that >access to information will not become
dependent upon having the latest technologies.  Even if >*all* of the most
recent versions of user agents have a specific feature allowing access to
>specific elements of a web page, the overall principle of ensuring access
to those of us who >might not have the newer technologies cannot be over
emphasized.  The WAI thus far has >reflected this in the guidelines and I
trust will continue to do so.

I am not - repeat - not advocating for accessibility to be dependent on the
"latest technologies".  I am advocating for accessibility to be dependent
on *available* technologies.  Hence my question asking for data or
configurations where access to word-wrapped columns is still a problem.  My
definition of the word "available" includes" on the hardware platform
currently in use" - so as not to incur the cost of upgrading the hardware.
My definition of available also includes, it *is* available if I just need
to upgrade freely to the next version of the software.

Again, please send me hardware, operating system, browser, and/or assistive
technology configurations where access to word-wrapped columns of text is
still a problem.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins