Re: are we there yet?

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 07:18:06 -0700
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
SM:: "...the overall principle of ensuring access to those of us who
might not have the newer technologies cannot be over emphasized."

WL: Respectfully disagree (mildly and partially).  Although there may
still be some reason for the "if you are using a rotary phone, stay on
the line" I don't think there should be universal "if you are using a
crank instead of a 'dial'..." requirement.

At some point (particularly with free upgrades, etc.) we must leave CP/M
behind.  Although it is a drag that some freeways make one walk a mile
to get to a crossover, there comes a time when perhaps we can upgrade
the folks who cause the retrofit to be just too costly.

Phill's question of "are we there yet?" will have to be addressed and
*probably* ultimately affirmed, even if not quite yet.
--
Love.
            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE