accessible PDFs?

From: Kristine M. Bradow <kbradow@ece.eng.wayne.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 12:59:17 -0500
To: W3C Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: Bob Erlandson <rerlands@ece.eng.wayne.edu>
I need to put some documents up on the web that the people I work with
can download from the web. I was planning on just putting the documents
in *.pdf format and inserting a link to the Adobe Acrobat reader page,
but I thought that I'd ask and see how such a solution rates in terms of
accessibility--what, if any, accessibility problems would requiring a
plug-in like Acrobat create? If it would present a problem, can any of
you offer an alternative? Converting the gross amount of literature that
I need to put up into HTML creates a formatting nightmare that I'd
prefer to avoid if possible--especially since some of the documents are
not all just text.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
Kristine Bradow
Enabling Technologies Laboratory