terms defining access

From: David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:59:30 -0500
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
hi, a short while back, a message was posted here describing problems
with terms and was at least partially adequately answered.  One term
however was not described and as a consequence not addressed.  I would
like to discuss the merits or opposite there of for the term:
"non-visual" access or just plain "non-visual".
I feel that there should be a clearly stated definition of this term or
better yet an adequate substitute as it can be construed to mean people
with vision need not apply.  This type of apparent exclusivity can be
off-putting and exclusive of other aspects of access which are just as
much a part of our goal as access by those seeking means other than
visual means to accomplish interaction with the interface and the
medium.
Thoughts please?
Thanks!

--