Data needed for presentation

From: Christine A. Quinn <cquinn@stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:41:02 -0800
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Season's Greetings to the WAI list.

I've put together a presentation for web folks here at Stanford to let them
know of the resources available for ensuring accessibility.  However,
I wanted to quote some numbers to make the issue more real.

I have tried to find some data on the web about visual impairment
in the population and have been unsuccessful.  Anyone know
of a source, or have the data themselves?

I'm looking for things like:

% of internet users with visual impairment
% of population (US) with visual impairment (those requiring aids more
    significant than glasses)
% of world population with v.i.
etc.

Also, I thought I heard Greg Vanderheiden quote some future
statistics about the aging population and that larger percentages
will be apparent as the baby boomer ages - any ideas about
that?

Thanks for any assistance.

-chris
Christine A. Quinn, WWW Developer
Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94306
(650)723-9645 (voice) (650)725-9121 (fax)