Re: Aie it's HUGE

From: Claude Sweet <sweetent@home.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 19:29:45 -0800
To: Chris Kreussling <CHRIS.KREUSSLING@ny.frb.org>
CC: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I wonder what reception the following comments would receive if they
were written about people who have accessibility problems and the
inference was that "so what if a person with a handicap can access the
site, they're not going to "buy" the product or use the information
contained in the web site, so the inaccessibility should not affect
them".

>Since the casual or beginning web author is not going to care about >accessibility, they're not even going to *look* for guidelines, so >their length will not intimidate them.

Surely accessibility must apply to both handicapped and non handicapped
individuals. The assumption that people will not have the ability,
expertise, and/or motivation to use and/or understand the guidelines
because they are not major, big time, power using html authors really
ranks of a double standard.

Is it an acceptable or unacceptable excuse to state "we didn't intend
the guidelines as an educational endeavor, but only as establishing
accessibility guidelines? I guess the answer depends on how you apply
the excuse to other individuals whose sites and not accessible.

Claude Sweet
A novice web designer