Re: plain text has its points

From: Charles F. Munat <coder@acnet.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 19:54:36 -0600
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Chris Kreussling wrote:
>I've found that larger sites increasingly include a "printable" version of
complex documents. This is often closer to plaintext than the Web version,
the full-text of a multi-part document, or both. This is another "both/and"
instead of an "either/or" situation. I want *both* the multi-part,
segmented, layered and hyperlinked versoin, and the single, simple
downloadable version.

XML and stylesheets should make this easy to do. (Well, ok, possible to do.)
The various parts could be stored in different fragments of a document and
included in a series of web pages, but a META link could link to a page that
pulled all the fragments together into one for printing or other uses.

Also, increased options for META data could make linking all the parts of a
document together for a printing option more viable.

C. Munat