Re: plain text has its points

From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@smart.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 14:14:46 +0400
To: <asgilman@access.digex.net>
CC: <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I think HTML is the second most universally accessible format after plain
text.  It should generally be possible to render a literary work in
plain text.  The format itself is not stimulating to a reader,
but the content should be coherent without embedded markup.
Project Gutenberg standardized on plain text for a reason!

Regards,
Jamal

On 1998-12-07 asgilman@access.digex.net said:
   NCc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
   Nto follow up on what Kynn Bartlett said:
   N> Actually, HTML is better because it allows for embedding of
   N> structure and meta-content that doesn't exist in plain
   N> text.
   NThere are two sides to this coin.  Markup, in use, can become a
   Ncover for laziness in verbalizing the message.  The tags may
   Nsiphon information out of the text, not just add new information.
   NTags are a little like Cookies in creating a way for programs to
   Ntalk behind the user's back, and possibly abuse this capability.
   NThe cross-linking between the WAI guidelines and related W3C
   Ndocuments is a major benefit.  I don't mean to dispute the upside
   Npotential of hypertext and multimedia.  But there is more to the
   Nway people trust plain text than tool obsolescence.
   NAl

Net-Tamer V 1.11.1 - Registered