plain text has its points

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:37:41 -0500 (EST)
To: kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com (Kynn Bartlett)
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
to follow up on what Kynn Bartlett said:

> Actually, HTML is better because it allows for embedding of
> structure and meta-content that doesn't exist in plain
> text.

There are two sides to this coin.  Markup, in use, can become a
cover for laziness in verbalizing the message.  The tags may
siphon information out of the text, not just add new information.
Tags are a little like Cookies in creating a way for programs to
talk behind the user's back, and possibly abuse this capability.

The cross-linking between the WAI guidelines and related W3C
documents is a major benefit.  I don't mean to dispute the upside
potential of hypertext and multimedia.  But there is more to the
way people trust plain text than tool obsolescence.

Al