Re: SSL

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:56:51 +1100 (AEDT)
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Is it correct that there is SSL software available for Unix systems which
acts as a proxy server, thus allowing a user agent that does not support
SSL directly to complete a secure transaction?

Also, I have heard it said that in order to use SSL, it is necessary to
generate a certificate, and apparently this is difficult even if Lynx has
been compiled with the SSL software included. Unfortunately I can't
remember the source of this information and it might therefore be
inaccurate.

Needless to say, SSL is not a W3C standard. I suppose this ought not to
preclude our discussing it, at least to the extent that it has special
implications for people who use text-based user agents such as Lynx or
Emacs/W3.