lynx and SSL

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:21:05 -0500 (EST)
To: rcn@fenix2.dol-esa.gov
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
to follow up on what Robert Neff said:

> I cannot remember what the individual was using to access the Chicago site.
> However, I believe Lynx 2.8 is SSL compliant (AL, can answer that one -
> despite the fact that I have already asked him and forgot).  PwWebSpeak is
> working on a SSL compliant version.  Cant answer for JFW or WinVision, can
> anyone else?

1. The good news is that Lynx can be compiled with SSL support.
The bad news is that you have to compile it [or a SSL-adding
proxy] yourself, due to a legal morass.

Kelly Pierce and his organization can train people to use
computers and screen readers, but getting them all up to that
point is a bit beyond what is reasonable.

2. When I read his request that the website support purchases
for people without SSL in their browser, I do not believe he
is suggesting that the consumer send credit card data in the
clear.  How _do_ CDnow and Amazon.com accomodate buyers without
SSL?

Al