Re: I and B vs EM and STRONG

From: Nir Dagan <nir@nirdagan.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 02:22:51 GMT
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
The common statement "use <EM> instead
of <I>" can be quite misleading.

One should use EM, CITE, VAR, DFN, etc. instead of I.

When speaking emphasizing is pronounced differently that
mentioning a name of book or newspaper. Al tells as that
this is the case also in Brille. In visual media they
are all rendered the same.

Because <I> has no semantics  in parctice all media
which do not render italics translate <I> to <EM> by default.
(this may be ofcourse a controvertial practice; one may
suggest that they should ignore the typographical hint altogether)
Therefore using <EM> instead of <I> doesn't matter per current
browser practice; it is more a matter of elegance and the
simplicity of following the principle  of  using "structural" rather
than typographical elements.

What realy matters is to use CITE, VAR etc. when appropriate
and not I or EM for all "italized" words.

Some people who try to improve their documents do
so by replacing all their <I> with <EM>. This is an error.

Netscape composer of Communicator 4.0 replaces
all <EM> <CITE> <VAR> and <DFN> of a document written
elsewhere with <I>, when resaving the document, and it does this
without BLINKing...

Nir Dagan, Ph.D.
http://www.nirdagan.com
mailto:nir@nirdagan.com

"There is nothing quite so practical as a good theory."
-- A. Einstein