Re: Linking to binary URLs

At 12:43 p.m. 10/01/98 +1000, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Hmmm. Fine idea, but I suspect that in practice it won't happen. Most
>browsers use the .xyz extensions to determine type automagically anyway.

Actually most of them use the content-type set by the server.  Some
of them fall back on displaying text/plain or text/html based on
the extension, or perhaps simply guessing or checking the system
registry for that extension if they can't figure it out.

So there would be advantage in setting TYPE attributes, in that the
file wouldn't need to be downloaded from the server (to get the
content-type HTTP header) in order to determine that it can't be
displayed by the browser.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California