RE: The Difficulty of Talking About Accessibility for the *

It is good to hear of your efforts in spreading the word about the 1996
USDOJ Policy Ruling stating that the Americans with Disabilities Act applied
to web design.  As the ADA legal compliance officer for local government, I
could not help but notice that your comment that "everyone with a government
contract need to be compliant with Title II and III of the ADA" - is not
quite correct.

Title II applies to state and local government entities.  Title III applies
to the private, commercial and business sector.  The policy ruling states
that if you are a Title III entity and engage in a program or activity of a
web site, then it must be accessible.  Likewise, if you are a Title II
entity, and you engage in a program or activity of a web site, then it must
be accessible.

I think what you meant to say was that if you are a Title III entity and
have contracted to develop a web site for a government entity, then you must
design an accessible web site.  You could also say that under the ADA the
"effective communication" standard is the same for both the private and
government sectors and so EVERYONE must be concerned about this issue.

Continue the good work and please do not take my comment as a criticism but
as a clarification of the legal language found in the ADA.  Further
discussion on the USDOJ Policy Ruling can be found in a brief article I
wrote for the American Bar Association in June 1998 entitled "Applying the
ADA to the Internet:  A Web Accessibility Standard"
http://www.rit.edu/~easi/law/weblaw1.htm  The article was based on a law
lecture I gave at my alma mater, Santa Clara University School of Law.

Cynthia D. Waddell

Cynthia D. Waddell   Cynthia.Waddell@ci.sj.ca.us
ADA Coordinator       City of San Jose, CA

801 North First Street, Room 460
San Jose, California 95110-1704
(408)277-4034
(408)971-0134 TTY