Screen reading & audio browsing plugs-ins, etc.

From: Jeff Cochand <cochand@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 07:21:56 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi,
    I am building a web site & attempting to incorporate the Web
Accessibility guidelines as much as possible.  Are there software,
Netscape Navigator & Internet Explorer plug-in's, hardware devices, etc.
that I should be aware of, using, and building to their standards?
    As best as I can tell, guidelines exist, but plug-in's, etc. for
Screen Reading & Audio Browsing do not exist.  Would someone be kind
enough to give me/point me to baseline material that defines the state
of Web Accessibility tools?  Do Screen Readers & Audio Browsers exist?
Do "plug-ins" exist for standard browsers that can perform these
functions?  I noticed the afternoon meeting coming up on 9/23 in Boston,
and thought that attending that meeting might be a good source of
information.
    Thanks for you help.

Jeff

   Below is the original question I sent to Ian & Daniel before becoming
aware of this group.  I've reformed my question based on looking thru
the w3c-wai-ig questions, but thought I'd include the original question
in the event that it provides more clarification.

You should send this query message to w3c-wai-ig, not just to Ian and
I.

I personally don't know much about NS and IE plug-in, I know that
there are some web proxy that can show you what a Lynx user would see.

I don't think a Screen Reader plug-in makes sense actually, since by
definition, a Screen Reader is an external agent that reads the whole
screen.

For audio browsing plug-in, I'm not sure the plug-in API allows one to
completely take care of the presentation, I think that plug-in are
just for OBJECT/APPLET element.