Re: Re: Adobe And TRACE Launch Enhanced PDF Access Via Email

From: David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 10:29:29 -0400 (EDT)
To: Paul Stauffer 301-827-5694 FAX 301-443-6385 <STAUFFERP@cder.fda.gov>
cc: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

...a large segment of the "public" goes missing here then, and in the
cases where relivant, could you provide them in zipped text format or at
least wp?
 On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Paul Stauffer 301-827-5694 FAX 301-443-6385

+Someone (unsigned) wrote:
+>Can ANYONE reference a GOOD AND APPROPRIATE use of PDF files?
+I can come up with a few:
+In FDA we receive stacks of paper documents from industry and citizens that
+can number hundreds of pages per document title.  We scan and put these
+into Acrobat format, since these documents have not be supplied to us in an
+electronic format. This is the only way we can keep up with the pace of
+information flow.  We have difficulty with document conversion with
+electronic copy as well.   Do you know how long it takes to convert a 1000
+page WordPerfect document with scientific notation into HTML?  We have to
+make these documents available to the public due to the FOI Act.  Also,
+most lawyers want an exact "look and feel" of a document for legal reasons.
+I prefer HTML, but it's close to impractical.  I can convert a 25 page
+document into PDF in 5 minutes, while it would take 4 hours for HTML.
+Paul Stauffer

touching the internet
voice: 1-(301) 949-7599
Dynamic solutions Inc.
Best of service for your Small Business network Needs