Re: What html authoring tool is best for blind students??????

From: Geert Bormans <Geert.Bormans@esat.kuleuven.ac.be>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 08:24:39 +0200
To: Prof Norm Coombs <NRCGSH@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Dear prof Coombs

>I am looking for advice as to which software to write html would be the
>best for a blind student using windows95 and a screen reader to use.  I
>want to teach html to some blind students, not college just high school.
>Any suggestions?

From my point of view: go for HoTMetaL Pro 4.
from SoftQuad (http://www.softquad.com/products/pc-hmp4.htm)
you can download a trial version for some 60 days I believe
it is by far the best html editor I am aware of
HoTMetal comes now with some interfaces to softbraille etc.
so it became very accessible as a product
HoTMetaL PRO 4.0 is a validating editor,
that enables the generation of high quality HTML.
Using the 'Check HTML' command one can verify
that the markup in a document is correct and complete.
Furthermore, HoTMetaL PRO has implemented a 'Check Accessibility'
command which checks documents against a set of accessibility guidelines.

good luck,

Geert Bormans
E-mail: Geert.Bormans@esat.kuleuven.ac.be