RE: Accessibility is a Right

At 11:50 AM 8/19/98 -0400, David Poehlman wrote:
>...if I may...?
>can I get a response at two in the morning? equal access is the tagline
>here.  universal access if you will.  I too see what you are getting at,
>but all to often, it's used as a cop out.  well, if you can't use pdf
>then...

I understand that, which is why I say that of course providing an
accessible site is a *good thing*. However the assertion that is at times
made that accessibility is "a right" (not just "right") can bring
significant resistance to an idea that may otherwise be accepted with
interest.

While everyone here would be thrilled to see all web sites be accessible,
there is a "real" difference between those that are legally required to be
in certain jurisdictions, and those where accessibility is desirable. Not
putting forth everything as "required", IMO, will bring greater acceptance.

Ann
---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Buy it online! http://www.webgeek.com/about.html

Owner, WebGeek Communications          http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org